Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lesson (of how not to act) from... the Israelites

So as usual a blog post hits me late at night... hence the 2:15am post. But... I have a confession that I've made to God and feel the need to share that lesson with whoever might take the time to read this thing. 


Lately, I've acted like an Israelite. 


Yes, those folks that wandered around for 40 years in the desert to find their eventual Promised Land...
Those folks who sometimes listened to their leader Moses who did some pretty amazing things via the power of God if they paid attention...
"Then all the congregation of the children of Israel set out on their journey from the Wilderness of Sin (location not an action, notice the proper noun!), according to the commandment of the Lord, and camped in Rephidim; but there was no water for the people to drink. Therefore the people contended with Moses, and said, 'Give us water, that we may drink.'
So Moses said to them, 'Why do you contend with me? Why do you tempt the Lord?'
And the people thirsted there for water, and the people complained against Moses, and said 'Why is it you :have brought us up out of Egypt, to kill is and our children and our livestock with thirst?'" (Exodus 17: 1-3)
Ummm... Excuse me people of Israel - did y'all forget the whole Red Sea, Bitter waters made sweet, Manna, Quail, etc thing... you know God provided for all howevermanymillions of yalls needs?!?! I know it's been an inconvenient trip and y'all been walking for a heck of a long time... but do y'all not think that if God led you through all that, brought you out of slavery and allowed you to cross a SEA on dry land (not a creek y'all... a SEA), that he would just then let you dehydrate in the middle of nowhere on that family vacation y'all are having called the Exodus. 
The answer to that, dear Israelites... is NO. 




You see... the reason I am like the Israelites is that lately I have been doing THE EXACT SAME THING!!! Okay, let's subtract the walking through the desert, slavery, and being chased by Egyptians part... but add in Cancer, Leukemia, Death, missing home, and being unsettled in my job. Just as God brought them through their mess... He has brought me through mine!!! 


And what do I do about that sometimes?? 
... I complain and grumble about what I don't have

I definitely had one of those moments in church on Sunday where I literally laughed out loud with the biblical truth that was slapping me in the face:

{SHUT UP AND STOP COMPLAINING!!! HE BROUGHT YOU OUT OF THAT VALLEY, WHAT MAKES YOU THINK HE WON'T BRING YOU OUT OF ANOTHER-- TRUST!!!}

I have recently had the experience of questioning His plan as I try to discover what it is... and that has truly become a mental debate for me of whether I am trusting His plan or (because I am pursuing different opportunities as I actively search) testing it! During the sermon on Sunday Past Danny said this: "Every difficulty will be a test that makes us better or a temptation that makes us worse." That is such a simple truth for all of our lives. We either trust or we don't... simple as that. The Israelites did not trust, but their leader did. Moses sought help from the Lord, (because he literally feared for his life because of the contention of the people) and the Lord provided a plan for him: hit a rock with your staff and it will become a water fountain (Exodus 17:6).

To put my problems into perspective, no matter what they may be, they were not as bad as what Israelites faced... so if God can make a water fountain out of a rock, He can surely provide new opportunities for me! Even though I have always very much appreciated and valued the Journey on my way to whatever my destination may be, I should never forget His blessings and the lessons learned a long the way. 
On another note... I wanted to share the link to my dear friend Callie's blog: http://www.calliesjourney.blogspot.com/

Callie and her mom Mrs. Judy have both defeated Cancer over the last few years. In fact, I don't believe that I would have never met Callie if she had not diagnosed with a brain tumor. I didn't know when I met her that she was sick... but I am so proud to say that over the last 2 years and some months I have been able to share in her journey... and what a trip it has been! Today Callie posted the final post for her Cancer blog... because Cancer is over for the Dunaways. I praise God for bringing this friend and her family into my life... I am so blessed by knowing them and celebrate this special milestone with them!! 

Love Y'all, 
Kacey




No comments:

Post a Comment