Thursday, June 16, 2011

About Goals... some words from Daddy.

I am currently sitting at my desk, working on my "Employee Self Assessment and Goals" evaluation... and as I am looking for a file on my computer I came across one titled 'A LETTER TO YOUTH - Daddy'


Okay God, thanks for meddlin' in my day... and it's only 10 am.


I'm not quite a youth anymore... but this letter speaks to me just as much as it would to the high school seniors or college freshmen it appears to be directed at (ironic considering my job, eh?)... so I wanted to share it with you, if there is anyone out there reading. There are some points in here (I have put in bold) that I believe are so necessary to personal success in life. These are things I need to keep in mind during every day, especially the ones when daily work becomes the daily grind. As I read this letter, it made me wish I knew what Daddy's "ultimate goal" was. I can pretty much guarantee it had nothing to do with the oil field or his profession, but was more about his relationships and his family.




"A letter to Young People:

What do you want to accomplish during you life? What is your dream? Everyone
should have a dream.
Whoever you are, what sex, race, nationality, age, or
intellect, possibilities do exist?

I believe that there are only two channels that anyone may accomplish their
goals. I assume you do have goals. No matter how perfect the plan without a
goal to reach, it is an empty, meaningless pursuit.

Only two tools lie at anyone’s disposal to accomplish anything. They are
your ability, and your intellect. Can you think of another? These tools are
the great equalizers. For its not how much you possess but how you manage
what you possess that determines how long it will take you to achieve your goals, or whether you achieve them at all.

Only those who are severely handicapped are denied natural talents, and if
you believe in God they might be termed gifts. I think to acknowledge
natural ability is prerequisite to beginning your quest for success. I have
met people who either were ignorant of their natural talents, or denied that
they possessed them. To accept your natural self is assurance of a greater
degree of success in life.
Remember: to be a success at life, you must be a
success at living, and to choose a career on any other basis is to choose
misery and discontentment.

I encourage you to do two things as you work toward independence. One, be
honest with yourself, really honest. How else will you truly know what you
consist of? Ask yourself these questions.

1. What are my natural interests?

2. What are my natural abilities?

3. What is my natural potential intellectually?

4. What are my PRESENT limitations? (Push it!)

Don’t try to choose a specific career if you're not sure yet. Just know
yourself.
You’ll be light years ahead of most people even older than
yourself. Once you have answered these questions you can begin to formulate
your plan. Don’t try to do it all yourself, and try to be patient. Don’t
make these decisions emotionally. You can alter your master plan along
life’s way but to realize you made a major mistake later will cost you years
of wasted time, and time is something we all have a limited amount of.

Secondly, set goals. Set your ultimate goal first. It's the one that will
provide direction for the others. Start with your dream and back up to your
present position setting intermediate goals along the way. Don’t be too hard
and demanding with your goals. Take it from someone who knows. If you can’t
enjoy the pursuit of a goal you will be thoroughly disappointed with the
accomplishment of it. Life is to be enjoyed not endured.

I have to tell you a truth. Success can’t be guaranteed in life, but failure
can. It’s something all of us experience and you will not be the exception. How you deal with this reality will greatly influence your ability to achieve your goals.
Be an optimist. As Winston Churchill said, “It doesn’t make much sense being anything else." Remember that failure is
only the opportunity to more intelligently begin again. Don’t be afraid of failure, it is a far greater teacher, and character developer that
success.
It will reveal to you more about yourself than most any other experience. Thomas Edison failed many times to make electricity a reality, and then was told many times it would never be necessary or marketable.

One other thing that I believe to be essential to the maintenance of self is
this. Make yourself valuable to others. It doesn’t cost a dime, you
don’t have to have a job, and you must do it voluntarily. The most
miserable person in the world is the one who selfish. No manner of success can fill the void we feel when we are of no use to anyone.

Know your limits. Every once in a while try to break through the
barriers. You will fail sometimes, but there will be times that you truly
amaze yourself.


Good Luck,

Dannon Cole



I've known my goal for a while now... to serve others.

After personally answering those 4 questions, I am more confident that my opportunity to serve others is not bound to volunteer work, but can be lived out daily. Because ultimately... as I serve others, I am serving the Lord.


{May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us;

establish the work of our hands for us yes,

establish the work of our hands.}

Psalm 90:17


{Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,

as working for the Lord, not for men...

It is the Lord Christ you are serving.}

Colossians 3:23-24



Whatever your goals are... go for them,

and commit them to the Lord.

Love Y'all,

Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment