Monday, October 18, 2010

Prone to Wander... Unfortunately.

I write about songs a lot... lyrics especially. One of my favorite hymns to sing is "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." We sang it in church on Sunday... I when the line {Prone to wander Lord I feel it...} was sung... it was like a big ole slap in the face from my Heavenly Father.

I am so prone to wander...

I think anyone who has ever traveled (or gone to Wal Mart) with me would tell you that I like to wander... I like to see new things, take different paths, explore different options. And while in life, I think that is a good thing... I am concerned that those options, those paths, those new things often distract me from the One whom I should be fixed upon.

I of course, look to the song for inspiration... (and Wikipedia for the info). This song was written by a young man. A 22 year old pastor in 1757. I am thankful to Robert Robinson who wrote this song 253 years ago... because my voice still shakes and I tear up with conviction nearly every time I sing it. Robert's version though is a bit different than Praise and Worship version we are used to... take a read a notice a few extra verses. The mental picture of the last verse... wow.

{Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing}
by: Robert Robinson, 1757
1. Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise his Name, I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.
2. Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
Till released from flesh and sin,
Yet from what I do inherit,
Here Thy praises I'll begin;
Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,Safely to arrive at home.
3. Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.
4. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
5. O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.
My conviction of my wandering stems from a reprioritzation that needs to take place in my life. sleep, work, friends, family, tv, enterntainment, social media... these are things I focus on when I could be spending time in the Word. When I could be learning... when I could be growing... when I could be gaining that Wisdom I am so desperate to have. Wisdom that I want to share as I learn. How can I not spend more time with the One who sustains me day to day. How can I hear answers to prayers if I don't take the time to listen.
... I can't.
I'm not really sure where to start, not sure where the Lord will lead me in a lot of aspects of my life... the thing about God is is that He is everywhere... so it is so important for me to make time for the One who has been with me for all time... He deserves so much more than I give Him. And though I can never give Him enough time or enough Praise I should strive to honor Him with more than my attitude and my works every day... I should honor Him with my time, with my mind, with my stillness and listening ears. I want to learn, but I have to study in able to do so.
Keep me in your prayers friends... for you are in mine.
Love y'all,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment