Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unity in Diversity...

One of my very best friends in college, Chris, spent most of his growing up years in Ecuador as a MK. His dad, Mr. David Sills, recently wrote a book titled, "The Missionary Call - Find Your Place in God's Plan for the World." I have started reading through the book and wanted to blog about something I picked up on in Chapter 1 of the book...

While discussing Understanding the Missionary Call in Chapter 1, Mr. David writes... "When God calls His child to live the life of a missionary, He gives him the desire with the calling. In addition, the Lord gives a spiritual gift to every true believer (1 Corinthians 12). However, in addition to the gift itself, I believe that each believer has a passion area for the exercise of his gift." I love the point that Mr. David makes about passion. I truly believe that if God calls you to do something, whether it go on the mission field, start a new career, or simply to give more of your time or finances... He will also supply the passion for your particular calling.

After reading this section I ventured to 1 Corinthians to check out the reference to Spiritual Gifts.... I so love the way this chapter unites the body through our differences. We Unite in Diversity by bringing all of our different gifts to the table to help each other out... teamwork is a wonderful thing. :)


{1 Corinthians 12}
1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.

2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols.

3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.
4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. '

5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.

6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,

9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,

10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b]

11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.


So yes, of course I have read this chapter before... but until about 10 minutes ago I had no clue what my spiritual gifts were. I just found 2 surveys online and took them both, and my results were similar on both. My primary gift on one survey was Shepherding. This gift has to do with leadership... I thought this part of the description was pretty accurate...


{HOW CAN YOU USE YOUR GIFT? This gift is a great help in many areas. You may serve as a Sunday school teacher, small group leader, pastor or assistant pastor, bus captain, special ministry leader (such as youth, children, men, etc.), nursery worker or as a half-way house or other type shelter volunteer. You may consider serving as a dormitory leader in a college, orphanage, children's home, etc. Scout troops would appreciate your assistance as a den leader.}

Okay... so I guess it's right.

I also scored high in Showing Mercy and Service on the assessments. I am comforted in knowing that things which I am passionate about such as caring for and comforting others, and well as service to others seem to be gifts from above.

It is so good to know that I serve a God who plays an active role in my life. He gives me skills, gifts, desires, and callings. I am confident that God has called me to work with college age students... but I guess the future location of that calling is to be determined. I am not sure where the Lord will take me... but I know that my path will be uniquely selected for me and me alone. And I am thankful and continually prayerful that God will make His calling evident to me, as well as create a renewed passion within me for whatever His plan for me may be.

Love y'all,
Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment