Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Practicality's absence in our country...

I just remembered why the only news I watch is E! news...

Because reading the news is depressing and simply reminds me of the demise of our country... The lack of respect for each other, for our forefathers and the documents they created to protect our country and our faith from big government, as well as the selfish lack of respect for life just make me sad. Here are a few questions that the answers just don't seem to make sense to practical old me...

Why does our government give out tons of money to foreign contries during their disasters, yet Nashville has yet to even get much recognition and the city is underwater?? Check out this video to see the reality. I truly believe that alot of it may be because Nashville is not hoarding media attention like New Orleans did during Katrina. However the reality of the situation is that anyone who moves into NOLA knows that a hurricane is a possiblity and that the city is below sea level. Nashville on the other hand was not prepared for this catastrophe... it was not a reality that anyone expected. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjaQoOdJvI

Why is it accepted to take away the life of an unborn child yet those who take away the lives of children or adults are in jail? Is it not, ultimately, still taking the life of someone else?? Does the 14th ammendment (which from what I read the "due process" part of this ammendment is the basis for many pro-choice debates) , in it's own special way not represent an unborn child as much as it represents someone who's life was freed from slavery. Notice that is says the state forbids denying any person "life"... is abortion not, in reality, denying somone life by taking it away?? I know that law is open to interpretation... and that's why we have courts... so that's my interpretation of this ammendment in regard to the sancitity of life... any life. If then, a citizen chooses to deny life to their child, should that child not be allowed the dur process of law?? I am not remotely an expert in this... but it is just a thought...

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified on July 9, 1868, and granted citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States,” which included former slaves recently freed. In addition, it forbids states from denying any person "life, liberty or property, without due process of law" or to "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

Does our government have a money tree somewhere? 'Cause it seems like no one but the taxpayers pay attention to the $12 trillion + dollar debt that I doubt we will ever be able to pay off!(Here's an interesting website: http://defeatthedebt.com/) If the USA was an individual... what bank in their right mind would give them a loan?? I read an article regarding personal debt in the US, and these numbers are from 2004 so they are out of date... but are still scary.

- About 43% of American families spend more than they earn each year.
- Average households carry some $8,000 in credit card debt.
- Personal bankruptcies have doubled in the past decade.

So, I think it is easily predictable that those number have gotten higher in the last 6 years... and I hope and pray that I will never be that person. I remember as a kid Daddy taught me one (of many lessons) that I will always remember about money... "When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall." Just ponder that for a minute because it makes SO much sense. I pray that I will always remember that.

Why do non-taxpaying illegal immigrants get freebies when tax paying americans don't? This particular issue is controversial for me regarding culture...not cash. I have a great respect for the melting pot of cultures in our country, and anyone who knows me can tell you that I have a love for latin american cultures, but the fact that billions of dollars are spent annually to cover the health care costs of illegal immigrants bothers me... because they don't pay it back!! Here's an excerpt from an article I found with some specific numbers:

It is important to note that most services provided to illegal immigrants are funded by local and state governments, yet any taxes they pay will likely end up in the federal treasury - the Department of Education estimates that 90% of education costs will come from non-federal sources. For some states that means huge costs offset by very little revenue.

Take, for example, Texas, which spent $1.4 billion on healthcare and education on illegal immigrants and taxed them $424 million, according to the CBO compendium; or Colorado which spent $217-225 million but received only $159-194 million. Other states fared better: Missouri spent some $17.5-$32.6 million on its illegal immigrant population but collected from them $29-$57 million. But for most states, "tax revenues that unauthorized immigrants generate ... do not offset the total cost of services provided to those immigrants," the CBO concluded. It further qualified this by saying that "... the impact is most likely modest."

Any ways... as I have thought about these dissappointing issues within our coutry it just becomes more evident to me how much we need to pray for our country, our leaders, and our future. The demoralization of our country will continue to lead to the demize of the nation. Our wreckless ways and arrogance have lost us the respect of many countries and cultures. Having lived in a foreign country I can tell you that the perception many foreigners have of us as a country stems form MTV, Baywatch, and whatever movie may be playing on their tv. We are perceived as a rich country, when in fact we are morally, spiritually, and financially in debt.

For a practical person like myself... the reality of all this makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment