Friday, April 30, 2010

striving to be Unforgettable

So as usual... Aunt Lanell keeps me accountable for the blog... and as I told her tonight... I just haven't really been inspired by a lot this week... it's been a crazy busy nearly the end of the year hectic week here at Samford. However, several pieces of the puzzle fell in place as I searched for my GAP (sunday school class, not the store) t-shirt to wear tomorrow for a community service project.

As usual when I am cleaning or trying to be productive... I start singing. Sometimes a song just gets in my head and I really dont think about the words or the title... I just sing. Tonight, the song Unforgettable began dancing back and forth in my head, and I began singing the few words that I know.

Unforgettable, that's what you are
Unforgettable, thought near or far
Like a song of love that clings to me
How the thought of you does things to me
Never before
has someone been more
Unforgettable, in every way
And forever more, that's how you'll stay
That's why, darling, it's incredible
that someone so unforgettable
thinks that I am unforgettable too
No, never before
has someone been more
Unforgettable, in every way
And forever more, that's how you stay
That's why, darling, it's incredible
that someone so unforgettable
thinks that I am unforgettable too
And here is the kicker to the coincidence (or not?) of me singing this song. After I found my shirt, I started making piles of clothes to give to charity, and some how in my closet I found a pair of Daddy's overalls. I don't know why they were there... but as I was holding them tight, sniffing them to see if there were any faint reminders of his smell, the song and the overalls clicked together.
How many unforgettable people do you have in your life??? ... and How many people think you are unforgettable??
As I thought through this question many people came to mind... but I got stuck on that second question. How many people will not forget me... and what can I do to make that number larger? I don't say that out of vanity or pride... I say that out of a desire to truly impact other people. Whether that is through positive encouragement, accountability, or heck... I dont know, buying them a coke... I want people to remember me and that I hopefully made a difference in their lives in some way.
So... let me think about my top 3 most unforgettable people in the Bible... you know other than the big names (Jesus, Disciples, Noah, Moses, David, etc...)...
1. My first choice for a little known unforgettable person in the Bible is Elihu, who shows up toward the end of Job's story. Elihu is witness to all of the conversations had between Job and his "friends" and once they are finished, he takes his aim and shoots, but he does it respectfully. I firmly believe you can make more of an impact on people when you treat them with respect:
"I am young in years, and you are very old; therefore I was afraid, and dared not declare my opinion to you. I said, Age should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom. But there is a spirit in man, and the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. Great men are not always wise, nor do the aged understand justice." (Job 32:6-10) Elihu continues to contradict Job's claims to righteousness and defense of himself until chapter 38 when God talks to Job in a whirlwind. Here's just a few of my favorite parts of when God sets Job straight. "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth... Have you commanded the morning since you days begun...Have you comprehended the breadth of earth? Tell Me, if you know all this." (Job 38:4, 12, 18)
2. Nehemiah. I truly think Nehemiah is the greatest example of practicle leadership in Bible. He prayed for and mourned with his people, "So it was, when I heard these words that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days. i was fasting and praying before the God of heaven." (Nehemiah 1:4) He made his goals for his people a team effort, "You see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire. Come and let us build the wall of Jerusalem, that we may no longer me a reproach... so they said 'Let us rise up and build'. Then they set their hands to do this good work." (Nehemiah 2:17-18) Nehemiah did not fall to criticism (2:19-20) nor did he take the easy way out (3:1). He became actively involved in the process of rebuilding and got down and dirty with the rest of the workers. There is so much to read about him... but he is one of my inspirations when it comes to leadership.
I have debated between a few options for number 3, but the love within this story sealed the deal:
3. The friends of the paralytic guy in Mark Chapter 2. "A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them. Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven." (Mark 2: 1-5). I think this is one of the greatest examples of friendship in the bible. Imagine you and your 4 best friends... one is so sick he/she can't walk and has to be carried. Plan A of taking said friend to see Jesus didn't work... so you go to plan B... tearing the roof of a building and lowering your friend to Jesus. If you check the fine print here... the man was healed because of the faith of his FRIENDS!! How many times can we say that we are so faithful that God would work miracles just because I am dedicated??
So... these are my unforgettables of the Bible... I need to be more like them. Make a difference in the life of a few people and hope that they will pay it forward.
Goodnight dear friends. KC

No comments:

Post a Comment