Saturday, May 15, 2010

1, 2, 3...

So I have realized there are 3 things in the world I would really like to have...

1. a house...
2. a porch with a swing...
3. a dog...

I went to my favorite store in the world today... Hobby Lobby... and purchased some really awesome things for a home I don't have. But hey, it was all over 50% off so I figured it made sense. As I was walking through the store I was admiring the picture frames. Alot of them have quotes on them like "It all began when two people fell in love" or "Family is what matters"... I felt myself getting emotional as I walked up and down the aisles... seeing the biblical quotes on frames and nearly cried when I saw a picture frame with a quote about a Father and his gentle hand... I don't remember the entire quote... but I really did feel myself tearing up at the sight of the frame.

I'm not really sure why... I think that as we approach the 1 year mark of Daddy's death there are a lot of things going on in my life... good things and good possibilities. These are moments I wish I had to share with him... when I look forward to possibly moving off campus sometime soon and having a place of my own (no I'm not planning to buy, but at least I could paint a wall), I wish he would be here to see it, to help me move, to enjoy it with me.

I want a dog... and I would love to be able to discuss the right kind of dog for me with Daddy. Instead, I watch animal planet and got on the Eukanuba (or however you spell that) website to find out that according to my preferences the Cheasapeke Bay Retreiver is the best breed for me. I've never had more than a mutt... but if I do eventually have the chance to get a dog, then I'm going to do my research and hopefully choose wisely.

Ultimately... and I sit here and think of these 3 things I desire... I can't imagine a more wonderful setting than sitting on a porch on any evening (you pick - spring, summer, fall) surrounded by friends or family or students I work with, with a sweet dog at my feet and a glass of sweet tea in my hand...

Man, I can't wait for that evening... and though I may not have my dad to share it with... God has blessed me with so many other people that, though they can't take his place, they can fill it. Believe me, if 1, 2, and 3 ever come together you will all be invited :)

Also... one of those frames I just remembered the quote (or part of it anyway):
"Don't wait for the storm to pass,
Learn to dance in the rain."

I think I'll strive for dancing... and try to be thankful for the rain in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment