Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A lesson about Discipline...

When I was a kid... I chose to get a spanking.

I chose them because I disobeyed rules set forth by my parents, and therefore deserved chose to commit an action which deserved correction.
What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love  how they would react with love and a spirit of gentleness? {1 corinthians 4:21}

Just as Paul did for the Corinthians Daddy set his example through "love and a spirit of gentleness" and I was the one who made the rod of disciple necessary because I chose it. I chose to disobey - Paul gave the Corinthains a choice in verse 21 - their actions (good or bad) reflected their choice and consequently how they would be dealt with by their "father."
I write not these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15 For though ye have ten thousand tutors in Christ, yet [have ye] not many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I begat you through the gospel. (1 corinthians 4:14-15)
A challenge for parents here - from this passage is to be someone who your kids should imitate. Paul advises his "children" to "imitate me."
  I beseech you therefore, be ye imitators of me.(1 corinthians 4:16)
 Would you do the same? If not then that is a warning sign for you - because if your behavior as a father (or mother) is not that which you would want your child to imitate - the that behavior should probably change. I believe it is important for parents to create behaviors and habits which you would want your son or daughter to imitate... whether that is studying God's word, helping a neighbor, or making healthy choices as simple as playing outside in God's creation rather than playing a video game or watching TV.

Hopefully if your behavior is that which your child should imitate and they follow your example - then the rod will be unnecessary. Always remember though, that it is their actions make the decisions as to if they should be dealt with in love/gentleness or the rod of disciple - not yours. You should act accordingly to their actions as the responsible and caring parent.

Did I deserve all those spankings I got as a kid... I'm sure I did. But with as many moments of discipline that I received, there were many more moments where my parents simply sat me down and showed love and gentleness by teaching me through those moments. I learned why what I did was wrong and why I should not commit that action again. I guess that is where the challenge of parenting truly lies... when to be gentle and when to use the rod of discipline.I think ultimately though the goal is to just make sure your kids are making the right decisions, and follow the two rules they are children are given by God:

1. Honor your Father and Mother
Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long in the land which Jehovah thy God giveth thee. (exodus 20:12)
2. Obey your Parents
 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right (Ephesians 6:1) Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing in the Lord (Colossians 3:20)

I know I'm not a parent, but God keeps teaching me these little lessons and showing me these things I just want to share with others... they are insightful for me, and hopefully helpful for some of you.

Love y'all,
Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment