Friday, December 31, 2010

Year Ender...

Well, since it is 1:19am by my watch... it is now the last day of the 2010. Guess it's an appropriate time to give a little review of the year/list some goals for 2011. (that... and I'm waiting on new iPhone software to download...)

2010
I've learned a lot this year... I've also grown up a lot this year (I have even learned to separate the word a lot... because it's two words, not one!). I have been reminded many many many many times, the God is 100% in control of my life... and I'm not. And frankly, I'm much better off if I give him the keys and get in the passenger seat, but giving up control is hard some times... but I'm a better person for it. I have learned that the pain of loss does get easier most days... I don't think about missing Daddy every day, but most. I have also learned that God reveals advice through memories and on those deep valley days when I miss him so much it hurts, He lets me dream about Daddy (I'm really thankful for those days). I have learned that the sound of Savannah saying my name, and the fact that she now knows that I am "Kacey" is pure joy. I learned from those sweet babies in Guatemala that a hug and a smile can be all the comfort someone needs even when you have no clue what you are trying to say to each other. I have been reminded by the students I work with that it's always worth it to take some extra time just to sit and talk, and those are the most enjoyable moments of my time at work. I have learned that one of the most incredible blessings in life is knowing that someone is praying for you... and also the blessing of praying for others... they may not ever know it... but it brings me satisfaction knowing that I am remembeing them as I talk to the Lord. I have learned that I am ready for a relationship, but am satisfied being single if that is God's will for me. I have learned that helicopter parents are incredibly annoying, but that I need to treat them like my own b/c they are just trying to take care of their babies. I have learned that those mountaintop days may be few and far between... but to celebrate them when they happen, and be thankful that they did.

I lost another part of my heart this year with the death of Pawpaw Cole, but I saw him die, literally before my eyes in a matter of weeks and the day of his death. His death taught me what Mercy truly is. I won't let myself eat the last bag of pecans he gave me, and the last piece of gum he bought for me and my office is sitting on my computer.

I blogged a lot of thoughts and feelings this year. Often through tears I bared my soul, my fears, my frustrations, and my hopes... but I'm proud of every word, for they help me heal... help me process the things God shows me, help me to grow and be a better person. Hopefully they helped some of you along the way as well.

I have been blessed with amazing friends this year... for my friends in Birmingham, our friendships have grown, we depend on each other for fun and comfort... and that's a blessing. Thanks to Facebook I have rekindled some friendships with old high school friends and family members, and I'm so thankful to social networking for that! I am sad to say that I think some of my friendships, friends who live in other towns and cities, have grown apart... but I love those people dearly and know they feel the same... no matter how little we see or talk to each other.

I have made new memories this year... with friends, family, and students that I work with. From trips to Guatemala, PBR in New Orleans, to the Opry to see Dolly Parton... God blessed me with more opportunities to make fun memories with the people I love.

2010 has been a prosperous year for me... not materialistically... but in every other way. I have looked back at my goals for 2010 and I think I've done pretty well. I say "I Love You" more often, I learned how to make Mawmaw's pound cake, and I am trying to continually study God's word more and more...

2011
I so wonder what God has in store for this year... and I pray that I will be faithful to follow His path, wherever it may lead. For those of you in my life, in any way... I love you and am so thankful for you.

Some goals for 2011:
  • put a stamp in my passport... i need to take a real vacation.
  • lose some weight... I have a mental goal, but that's for me... not y'all :)
  • try to visit home more often... the trips always seem so darn quick.
  • learn to play guitar? (I've been thinking about this one for a while now... Daddy's guitars are never going to get played unless I marry a man who plays guitar or learn how to play it myself... we all know I'm a little to independant to wait on option 1)
  • spend more time with Savannah... she knows my name... I want her to know me more.
  • learn more... in general.
  • read more and study more about God, who created me, you, and everything else we hold dear...
  • Blog more consistently...
  • Volunteer more...
  • Send more cards and letters to my World Vision Sponsor Child Anjali.
  • Make sure my friends and family know just how thankful I am for them...

I finished off last years New Years blog with a prayer, the Serenity Prayer... so I wanted to do something similar this year. This is a Catholic prayer I ran across a few years ago. I have shared it with my students as they are going through their unsure times of life and I think it is worthy of a read from us all.

St. Theresa's Prayer:

May today there be peace within.

May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to
be.

May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of
faith.

May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the
love thathas been given to you....

May you be content knowing you are a child of God....Let this
presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.

It is there for each and every one of us.

As we end out this year I have 2 particular prayer requests:

1. My best friend from college, his wife (who is carrying a baby), and their 1.5 year old son are moving to Costa Rica tomorrow. Chris, Carole, and Abraham will be living there for about 8 months (I think) as Carole attends language school. After Costa Rica, they will be moving to Ecuador to be full time missionaries. These are great people with a great calling. Please keep them in your prayers as they travel, raise and have babies abroad, and follow God's plan for their lives.

2. A friend from High school had a baby yesterday... he was born extremely early, weighs 1 pound and 14 oz, and he is breathing on his own. Please keep the Garrett family in your prayers, mom, dad, and particularly little baby Garrett. (not going to post their first names as have not talked to the family about it...)

{I love you all dearly. May you have a blessed 2011! - Love y'all, Kacey}

No comments:

Post a Comment