Monday, July 26, 2010

The Road to Peace


You know those times when you feel like you have accomplished something, or made it to the next step... and then you totally digress? Well, I had one of those moments tonight. I looked at a picture of Daddy on facebook that Shane posted and just started weeping. Pure, unadulterated weeping. Sometimes I think I have done so well dealing with his death... and then there are nights like tonight... when I just want to see him, to hear his voice... I am desperate to touch him but I know I can't. If you have never felt this before it's just an indescribable and miserable feeling. I just sat on my couch crying for a minute, and immediately reached out for the thing that I feel brings me closest to Daddy... his Bible.

I started flipping through the pages, sniffing the pages even for some familiar scent of him which is long gone and simply touched the pages that he flipped and turned so many times. Of course, I was inadvertently looking for some kind of message for myself... because in the midst of all that is going on in my life... I desire more change. A change in scenery, a change of attitude, a message from God that He's listening and that He knows my heart (which yes, I know He does... but my earthly mind desires some sort of confirmation). Somewhere stacked in the Old Testament were a stack of papers, scrawled with his half cursive/half print left slanted lettering that caught my eye. I share it here with you (In Print and Photo)... maybe it will give us both something to think about:

Philippians 4: 4-7

- The Road to Peace-

1) Rejoice (in the Lord) relationship (remove guilt), again - REJOICE!!! (important)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Don't worry - (It's an insult to God's watch care)

In everything:
  • In Sorrow
  • In Success
  • In Peace
  • In Panic
  • In Failure
  • In Turmoil
By

Prayer (asking) ----------------------------------- Supplication (petition)

With Thanksgiving

(Thanksgiving = faith in results of Recognition of God's faithfulness)

make your requests

KNOWN TO GOD

The Peace of God (Can't be understood - makes no sense)
Shall
Keep Your hearts (settle your Spirit)
Keep your mind (calm you fears, remove your doubt)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is accomplished THROUGH Christ Jesus.

In his bible, beside these verses in Philippians he wrote, "Don't Worry Be Happy!", Also in the note he references the song Tell it to Jesus:
Tell it to Jesus
Are you weary, are you heavy hearted?
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus.
Are you grieving over joys departed?
Tell it to Jesus alone.
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus,
He is a Friend that’s well known.
You’ve no other such a friend or brother,
Tell it to Jesus alone.
Do the tears flow down your cheeks unbidden?
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus.
Have you sins that to men’s eyes are hidden?
Tell it to Jesus alone.
Do you fear the gathering clouds of sorrow?
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus.
Are you anxious what shall be tomorrow?
Tell it to Jesus alone.
Are you troubled at the thought of dying?
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus.
For Christ’s coming kingdom are you sighing?
Tell it to Jesus alone.


Sadly, I answered YES to the majority of the questions within this song because to be honest... no matter how hard I try or how much I pray I am anxious over things such as Pawpaw's health, my professional future... I cry unbidden tears and I grieve time lost with family and friends... this song just rings true for how I feel right now. As a Christian, though we have been found by God... I think it's fair to say that some times we feel lost even though we are not. When things aren't going our way (When God says "no") or when life changes because the people in it move or pass away... all of that leaves me feeling, well, a little lost... because I am searching for things that aren't necessary. I look for jobs, I look for stuff that reminds me of Daddy (I took a pic out of his guitar case this weekend), I look to friends for affirmation and comfort...but where should I be looking... to the God of it all... the One who promises that He knew me before I was born, the One who gave His Son for me, the One who says "Hey Kacey... let me know what you need, even though I already know (Philippians 4: 19)... but here's the kicker Kacey, I KNOW WHAT YOU NEED BETTER THAN YOU DO!!"
Well Hello Reality, how are you?
There are so many things to think about, grieve about, and learn about as we travel this Road of Life. We will go places, meet people, and do things we never expected... but God knew about it all along. He equips us for Peace even when we don't know that we need it or don't seek it. But Oh, when you feel it... it's perfect.
I pray that we will all find Peace as we go through the turmoil, success, panic and sorrow of our lives, and that we would Tell Him our troubles so that we get closer and closer to that Peace on a daily basis. It's available to us...but we have to remember our end of the bargain... don't just ask God for things... THANK HIM FOR THE BLESSINGS!
Love Y'all,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment