Thursday, June 17, 2010

Psalm 16

I read through a few chapters of Psalm last night... the first few I read were very angry... Evidently King David was upset with some folks and wanted the wrath of God to get them... then I got to chapter 16 and the tone totally changed. Take a look at what he has to say here... the very last verse of the chapter made me stop and think of the sheer awesomeness of the meaning...

Psalm 16
A psalm of David.

1 Keep me safe, O God,
for I have come to you for refuge.

2 I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
Every good thing I have comes from you.”

3 The godly people in the land are my true heroes!
I take pleasure in them!

4 Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
or even speak the names of their gods.

5 Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.

6 The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!

7 I will bless the Lord who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

8 I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.

9 No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
My body rests in safety.

10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.

11 You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.

I think that the first 3 verses are pieces knowledge we need to remember daily: He is our refuge. He provides EVERYTHING we have. And we should be thankful for all those "heroes" in our lives that we spend time with and that make us better people.

Verse 8 is incredibly comforting...

Verse 9 is a constant goal... for though I my heart is glad and does rejoice, I am not always in a constant sense of joy... for example, I know that in the next few days there will be bouts of sadness and yearning... but my goal is in the moments of sadness, to think of memories of joy.

Verse 11... I mean WOW! I think it is interesting that I read this verse last night before going to bed... then had a dream in which I was having a conversation with Daddy. It was as if I was interviewing him about his time in Heaven. I know I asked a lot, but I can only remember two of the questions I asked: 1) What is your job in Heaven?, and 2) What does your mansion look like? ... I don't remember the answers, but I do remember the smile on his face... he was happy to be there... and I should be happy that he is... so I think that by recognizing the truth of verse 11, I can reach the goal of verse 10.

I love these truths that are shown to me by the Lord... Lord, please keep them coming, and have patience with me that I'll learn the lessons.

Love Y'all,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment