Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympic tears...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is seriously enjoying the Winter Olympics, and I have shed several tears over the last week. Starting with the opening ceremony when the Georgian team came out, to the Chinese figure skating pair who has been together for 18 years and put off their wedding to win gold. I also teared up a few times when my fellow Americans stood on the podium and sang along to the star spangled banner. But tonight... not only did I cry... but my heart ached in both sympathy and admiration for Joannie Rochette, the Canadian figure skater who skated a personal best tonight, 2 days after her mother died.

Here's an article about Joannie: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news;_ylt=AlaVbnUv9Cm1CoSPiaiYr1atIbh_?slug=capress-oly_fig_rdp-2428005&prov=capress&type=lgns

Having dealt with the death of a parent, I can relate to her pain... however, my admiration for her is just... well, I just admire her so much. I can tell you how hard it was to deal with the death of a parent and face another day, another person, another task. But to skate your personal best at the Olympics on international television 2 days after the death of a parent it just remarkable. I don't know if a Joannie, but her performance tonight is a true example of Phillipians 4:13. I think she can be an inspiration to anyone in our situation... if she can perform in front of the world, you can go back to class or work or whatever it may be.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Phil 4:13)
So... super props to Joannie... she's an inspiration to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment