Saturday, October 3, 2009

Time.

You know how somethings you just don't notice things that are around you all the time? Well, today I noticed a little plaque in mom's house that in my 26 years of life, I had never noticed. I'm not sure how long it's been there... but until today it was unread by me.

Time is...
Too slow for those who wait,
Too swift for those who fear,
Too long for those who grieve,
Too short for those who rejoice,
Bit for those who love ---- Time is Eternity

Time has been on my mind alot lately... for a variety of reasons. Is it time to change jobs? I need to spend more time with my family... When is it going to be time to go back to school and work on my doctorate? Do I have time to take a nap? How much time till the Lord comes back? Will I have enough time to have a husband and family before the Lord comes back? How much time will it take us to go through all of the stuff in mawmaw's house. How many times can I get back home before Christmas... and on and on and on.

Daddy always said that God's concept of time is totally different than ours. Many times he and I talked about how there could have been hundreds and thousands of "years" between the time that God created the heavens and the earth, and man. Thinking about all of this... I used my trusty concordance (those lists of words in the back of your bible) to look up a few verses and see what the Word says about time.

2 Timothy 1:8-9 (New Living Translation) -
" So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, either, even though I’m in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News. For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus."

Before God created TIME He created a plan for YOU AND ME!! Before God created TIME, He created a way of SALVATION for us!! I may worry if I'll have time to plan a meeting or a hair appointment on a particular day... but God planned for us BEFORE THE BEGINNING OF TIME!!! Why do we worry so much about time when our God is in control?!!
(Also reference that song by Alabama, "I'm in a hurry and don't know why"...
it has some great points too.)
John 6:7 (NLT)
"Jesus replied, “Now is not the right time for me to go, but you can go anytime"
I really hope I'm not misinterpreting here... but my thought with this verse goes with the previous note that Time is Eternity. Jesus Christ knew His "time" to go would involve the cross... and on that particular day, it wasn't His time to go. We however, don't have that forewarning of knowing when our time will be up. Therefore, we should live every day in honor of our Lord.
Proverbs 31:25 (NLT)
"Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come."
I think this verse could be my mom's banner. But for anyone who has gone through a difficult time, this verse hits home. You have to be strong... and though you may be sad and not rejoice at this moment... it will come.
Ecclesiastes 9:11 (NLT)
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. "
No matter how fast, strong, smart, rich, or popular we may be... time will catch up with all of us. You cannot escape God's timing for your life.
Hosea 10:12 (NLT)
"Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you. "
This one is pretty simple. In order to grow as a Christian, we must spend time with the Lord... when he rains on our seeds of righteousness - we will grow.
Time affects us all in different ways... and I'm sure we all have different thoughts and concepts when it comes to time. It's a cultural thing as well for some (on the punctuality issue), and a regimented thing for others. Daddy wrote a song many years ago titled, "When Time is No More." The song is a real eye opener if you will let it be... I know you can't hear it... but read the words and pay attention to what he is saying. We may think one thing about time (that we need more!)... but the reality of it is... time is only temporary, and how we spend our time says alot about who we are.
WHEN TIME IS NO MORE
DANNON COLE

Time goes so fast in this world it seems,
There’s not much time for my hopes and dreams.
But up in Heaven when I stand on that shore,
There’ll be enough time, when time is no more.
---------------------------------------------------------
Time goes so fast, we each go our way,
There’s so many words we all need to say.
But up in Heaven there are no more doors,
We’ll all be together when time is no more.
----------------------------------------------------------
Time goes so fast, now I must rush on,
The first thing I know my life will be gone.
Then all the things that I’ve come to know,
Will then seem as nothing, when it’s my turn to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Chorus:
When time is no more, in Heaven we’ll be,
We’ll sing and rejoice, at our Savior’s feet.
I’ll never be late, or worry again,
When time is no more, in a land --- without sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment