Friday, June 29, 2012

The most important things...




I have been heartbroken as I watch the news of the families who are losing their homes out west in these fires. So many are now homeless... 32,000 evacuated and I think around 350 homes destroyed per the last report I read. As I watched the footage, as these people are having to evacuate the homes that they built and the belongings they have worked hard to own, it got me to thinking... 


If a fire was coming my way... 
and I had time to grab a few things I knew I could save, 
what would those things be?


I sat on my couch thinking about it... and as I looked around the room I couldn't think of much. I live by myself, so I don't have all that much... and my first thoughts were basic - purse, laptop, cell phone/charger, some clothes and sturdy shoes. Those things just seem necessary... the purse to pay bills, laptop/phone for communication, and clothing/shoes to have something to wear. The only posessions I would try my best to save are those that are already kept in a fireproof box - Daddy's Bible and a Q&A journal I gave him for Father's day once, Pawpaw Cole's dog tags, Mawmaw Scarbrough's wedding jewlery, and some old family pictures that I don't have scanned on to my conputer. That all seems pretty simple, and could be contained within a suitcase, but like I said... I don't have kids to think about... which would add to the list of necessities I'm sure would be needed. 


So how does this tie in to me posting Daddy's writings, (which of course is the goal of late)? As usual, looking at something he wrote just ties in to my daily ponderings... as usual, my Father shows me just want to read! Last fall someone found this big green binder at home that was FULL of stuff Daddy wrote. I organized and and only got a few pages into typing up what he wrote, but the the very first thing I typed from the binder was this: 
Matthew 6:21 Buried treasure = or =Where the treasure isWhere is your treasure Numbers your prioritiesAllotment of your time.
 Verse 16:Reward or treasure of Christian works not under leadership of Holy Spirit.
Verse 17-18:Reward or treasure of Holy Spirit guided Christian Where you treasure is there your heart will be also.


Those are word for word, pen to keyboard, Daddy's notes... and that's what I looked at when I was thinking about these fires. Here's my translation/inferences/expansion on his notes... 

In his references to treasure he is using the Biblical sense of course... so this treasure should be one's salvation and faith and things they work for (for the Lord) on this Earth.

Matthew 6:21: For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

... But to get the true root of this message, you have to read a few verses before... 

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[a] destroy and where thievesbreak in and steal, 20  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21)

I think the three lines are probably titles... or the heading he was going for, but think about it like this... 
Where is your treasure, buried or out in the open?? (and in turn...)
Do you keep your faith buried, or do you share it?
 Where are what your treasure is affects your time and your priorities. As a Christian, yes that should be your faith and the works you do to share it, and of course you should spend more time in/on that treasure. However let's just be honest... if I'm thinking of the fire... I'm not taking my laptop becuase I share (via the blog) my thoughts on faith from it. I'm taking it because it is tool for communication and has thousands of pictures on the hard drive. We aren't taking our faith us because it is not a material item, it is a part of us... you would be grabbing, kids, pets, necessities, etc... I think the danger here... based on these other verses he references is that we don't allow those other "treasures" we would save in the fire take the priority of what our true treasure is... and to always keep sight of what we have gained through our faith... not lost through any material circumstances. 

"...not under leadership of Holy Spirit"
Matthew 6:16: And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

These folks here are moaning and groaning so other people will notice what they don't have... they are the people who dwell on what they lost, not what they saved from the fires (an issue of faith/gratitude toward God). Their reward is not eternal, because their show of faith (fasting) is done hypocritically. 

"... of Holy Spirit guided Christian"
Matthew 6:17-18: But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

This act of faith (fasting), 
this "treasure" is done for the Lord and only for the Lord.

For me, based on his writings and my thoughts, the bottom line is this... How many times do we flaunt (or save) our material treasures rather than our spiritual ones. 
What is our priority and where do we spend most of our time?

This is what the issue of our treasures in the fire 
(both physically and eternally) are truly about. 

Keep those families in your prayers... I sure am! 
Love y'all, 
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment