Sunday, June 20, 2010

What a difference a day makes...

Here's a facebook note I wrote today... I think it will suffice for my blog entry on this day:

A year ago today my life drastically changed... but so did my daddy's. I have lived without my earthly father for a year, but his has lived with his Heavenly father for a year... just imagine the lessons learned for the both of us. Here are a few of mine:

A year ago... I was really really mad at God. Today, I constantly thank him for the people who He has brought in and out of my life.

A year ago... I couldn't go to church because I could not honestly worship... I was mad, I was bitter, and I felt like God had taken away the person I was closest to in the world. Today, I understand that Daddy did not belong to me but to the Lord... and God wanted him back.

A year ago... my heart hurt, physically. I felt sorrow like I had never known. Today, my goal is to rejoice daily and recognize the hand of the Lord in my life... no matter what happens.

A year ago... I wondered why. Today, I wonder, well... why not. Better for a family of faith to lose a loved one knowing where they are going rather than a family without faith and hope in God.

A year ago... I knew my dad had made an impact on me... but didn't know the impact he had on others. After 700+ people came to his wake and continue to share memories with me today... I know he had a vast impact on a lot of people, and I'm grateful to have been one of them.

A year ago... I didn't always say I love you to the people I love. Today, I try to make sure to express my feelings to people, because if I don't say it... they won't necessarily know. I LOVE Y'ALL!!!

A year ago... I didn't know if I would be able to do life without Daddy. Today, I know that I can... with the help of God, remembering the lessons I learned from Daddy, and with the support of the wonderful people in my life.

Rather than dwell on the loss of Daddy, I choose to celebrate his life. There are still tears, but they come less often as I remember the life rather than the loss more and more every day. I cannot express my thanks to those of you who have lifted my family and I up in prayer this past year... I appreciate it more than you know and will forever be thankful. Those prayers have truly helped us survive this last year. If you have any special memories of Daddy, post them here in this note so we can all share them...

Love y'all,
KC

1 comment:

  1. what an amazing piece of writing! so glad God has given you the strength and discernment to be able to reflect on such a hard year with such honesty and beauty! He is truly good!

    ReplyDelete