Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fear God, but fear nothing else...

Psalm 2 talks about rage and ruling, the Lord's wrath and His declaration of blessings and protection for his chosen rulers... but it also talks about the wisdom of the fear of God.

"Now therefore, be wise O kings;
Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
Serve the Lord with fear,
And rejoice with trembling."
(Psalm 2:10-11)

I've always thought is was a healthy thing to have a fear of the Lord... not to be afraid, but to fearfully respect the authority, omniscience, and omnipresence of our Father. I think this can easily be compared to our earthly father. Not that I was ever afraid of Daddy... but I knew he had authority over me and, frankly, could punish me however he pleased if it was deserved. I'm sure a lot of others had the same experience and respect for your parents, if you were lucky.

Psalm Chapter 3 is very reassuring as it is all about protection and help. (My version of the verses in italics...) No matter who or what comes up against up, no matter what enemies we may have... as children of God He will protect us... we have no need to fear ANYTHING!!!! How empowering is that!!

"Lord, how they have increased who trouble me!
(Lord... there are more and more people who cause me problems!)
Many are they who rise up against me.
(Seriously, alot of people are giving me grief and tempting me.)
Many are they who say of me, There is no help for him in God.
(... and they don't believe you can help me! joke is on them...)

But You O Lord are a shield for me,
(You have my back...and front and I trust you)
My glory and the One who lifts up my head
(You encourage me)
I cried to the Lord with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill.
(You know my voice... mine!! ... and you hear me whereever you are.)

I lay down and slept;
(No matter who/what comes up against me... I find peace in You and can rest)
I awoke, for the Lord sustained me...
(Even when I am not paying attention to protect myself, You are there...)

Salvation belongs to the Lord."
(You and You alone can save me from anything that comes my way, as Your will sees fit)

(Psalms 3:1-5, 8)

I hope you all have a wonderful day... know that we are all blessed and we should use our blessings to bless others... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment