Saturday, April 10, 2010

A blog dedicated to a friend...

In 7 days my friend Sarah will be getting on a plane to go live in India.

Sarah has been feeling that God has called her to India to work with women for a while now, and she is answering the call and going to work for Freeset. This company is located at ground zero of the Indian sex trade in which young girls are sold by their families and young women sell themselves to make a living. Please check out the story of freeset here: http://freesetglobal.com/who-we-are/our-story.

The Indian women who work at Freeset make bags and tees that are super cute!! Sarah's job at Freeset will be working as an accountant. She leaves in a week and know that she will be living with one of two people, but at this time she does not know which one. From our talks it seems like there are alot of unknowns for Sarah... but the thing I admire most about Sarah and her new endeavor is that she is not letting those unknowns limit her expectations or quench her motivation for following God's call in her life. Her attitude is really inspiring to me as I face the uncertainty of hopefully moving on to a new position professionally. Sarah has lots of questions, but she knows Who has the answers... and she trusts that.

I've known Sarah since the first year I moved to Birmingham. We met through church and she has been a great friend to me over the past few years. I appreciate her more than she knows and am incredibly thankful for our friendship. Our small group met at my house tonight and after about 3 hours of eating, dancing, and LOTS of laughing, we sat down to pray for Sarah. During the prayer one of the girls mentioned how God brought us together as a group, from different places and different paths, to become a group who supports and encourages each other. I know I have written about them before... but they are all such a blessing to me and I love them all.

Kristen, Sarah L, Sarah A (who this blog is dedicated to!), Allison, me, and Lesley
I ask that you pray for Sarah. She mentioned that one of her concerns is whether or not she will be accepted into the community of women who work for Freeset. On her prayer card Sarah listed the following prayer requests:
  1. Please pray that I will form close friendships with the Indian women and others who live and work in Calcutta.
  2. Please pray that I would be able to effectively and usefully complete Fewwset's accounting work each day.
  3. Pleae pray that God would continually expand my knowledge of Him and that I would grow closer to Him each day.
  4. Please pray that I would find a church home and an accountability partner/group.
  5. Please pray that I would see and love people as God does.
  6. Please pray that God would give me the strength internally to deal with feelings of anger and injustice at the situation in Calcutta.
  7. Please pray that God would provide opportunities to share the Good News with others and that I would be perceptive to those times.

As I think about Sarah's new exciting adventure as she follows God's plan for her life I wanted to look for some thoughts from the Word to share with her and others who might be entering into an unknown situation...

On the days when you are worried:

"For He himself is our peace..." (Ephesians 2:14)

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God; and the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:6-7)

And on the days where you wonder if you are making an impact:

" I thank my God upon every rememberance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you with joy." (Phillipians 1:3-4)

And on the days when you are wondering what the heck you are doing...

" ... for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Phillipians 2:13)

And on the bad days...

"... Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is anything praiseworthy- meditate on these things." (Phillipians 8)

And on the days of uncertainty:

" And my God shall supply all of your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:19)

----------------------

Sarah,

I love you friend and I am so proud of what you are doing and the fact that you have the guts to move across the world for a new job. I can't wait to hear what its like and for you to tell me what God is revealing to you in your work and relationships. I will miss your humor, your karaoke/dancing skills, your kindness, and your genuine concern {no matter how awkward it may be sometime :)} for those you love. Thank you for standing by me through such a tough year and being so concerned for me when I truly needed it. I love you, I'll miss you, and I promist to pray for you. (and I'll see you on Skype if I can figure out how to work it!!)

- Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment